Sunday, December 2, 2007

Mexican Food

I have only found three tolerable* restaurants in St.Louis that serve Mexican Food. I'm pretty hesitant to eat at Mexican food places here because I know it will probably not live up to my expectations. I have yet to find gooood flour tortillas in this city.
* I'm from San Antonio so if I will eat Mexican food here that means it is pretty good.
**This list is just for my own indulgence, I am not sure whether they get their food responsibly. I will check into it.

Mi Ranchito (on Kingsland one block North of Delmar) I always get the grilled veggie fajita's and they are fantastic. The tortilla's are their downfall. I thought the enchilada's were pretty terrible, probably mostly because of the tortilla. The atmosphere is great for a fun night with friends and pitcher Margaritas.

Canyon Cafe (in Plaza Frontenac) This is a chain (aka bad, don't do it, down with the man) restaurant that is a little more pricey. It isn't authentic at all, but it is still pretty tasty. I enjoy the strongly seasoned chips.

Senor Pique's (on Manchester a few blocks west of 141) This place is authentic and delicious. It tastes very Mexican, meaning not the tex-mex that I'm used to.
The chips and salsa aren't anything special, and the flour tortillas are not homemade, but the corn are. The enchiladas were very good, and I think that is usually a decent indicator of how the rest of the food will be.

4 comments:

B-Rye said...

I'll vouch for Senor Pique's for sure. Almost everything they serve is home-made, from the bread on the tortas to the chorizo they use and more. They have several authentic dishes, indicated clearly on the menu, as well as vegetarian choices. It's far from typical St. Louis-style Mexican. Outstanding food, reasonable prices, and an authentic taste of Mexico.

Liz said...

How do you feel about Cherokee? I'm a huge fan of super cheap burritos at the blue weird shaped hut thing...and the mexican desserts at their offshoot location. I've never eaten anywhere else down there, but I've heard good things. I've also heard good things about the el magueys, but I've never eaten there either.

Also, for really non-Mexican (but I still thought it was delicious) Mexican, I enjoy Atomic Cowboy. Lots of veggies, and the flavors were fresh.

stl Eatniks said...

haven't been to cherokee. I ate once at el magueys when it was still tomatillos and i almost threw up all over myself.

Unknown said...

ooh, Cherokee street? El Bronco is the best. I had a tounge burrito there a few weeks ago. it was divine. And inexpensive.